Space-based solar power

• I just read a news article on China using Tiangong Space Station for their space-based solar power project. Looking at how we've been utilizing solar power this far, this sounds like a promising idea even if results may probably take decades (and even more until we can use those resources for our daily lives). Do you think we will ever be successful in finding a new energy source like this?

• Thanks for sharing the article, Insomnia. I'm surprised that it works, but the technology behind it sure is fascinating. I think we already have the resources in place to use more green energy, but sadly, big money interests are bent on stopping progress.

• That is amazing. I commend the scientists for thinking outside the box on this one. Whether it will be a wild success remains to be seen, but I'm excited to see how it plays out.

• It does look promising. I could be wrong, but I think they want this to work on the moon more than on Earth. If they want to mine up there, they need power for the machines.

Edited once, last by Sputnik XII (December 11, 2022 at 6:03 PM).

• This Earth is already so full, so building power stations outside the Earth does sound like the right choice. We will have another question in form of transporting the harvested energy though. Just think about the distance.

There are so many big-money points along this topic, so why would those people pull out? It's to no one's disadvantage if progress were to slow down or stop anyway.

• I'd never heard of this until now and it sounds like such a neat idea! As we keep needing more and more energy to support out population, we'll need outside of the box thinking like this!

• Hey Insomnia and Kelly!

Insomnia, thanks for sharing that interesting article about China's space-based solar power project. It's definitely an exciting concept, but as you mentioned, it might take quite some time before we can fully utilize these resources in our daily lives.

Kelly, you bring up a valid concern about the Sun's plasma lights out event. While it's true that such an event could potentially cause havoc with electrical systems, scientists and engineers are continuously working on developing robust and resilient technologies to safeguard against such situations. So, while it's important to consider the possible risks, it's also crucial to trust in the ingenuity of our scientific community!

Cheers!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!