• Mars will be visible and at its closest to our planet on December 8th according to NASA! From what I read, we get to see the red planet in our night sky every 2 years. However, I have never spotted it. Has anyone ever seen Mars?

• Not yet, but I'll be in Wyoming for work, so I'm hoping to spot it this time. You're supposed to be able to view it with the naked eye, but I'm taking my telescope, just in case.

• I'm very excited that we will be able to see Mars with no tools! Orion, what kind of telescope are you bringing? Preparing for the worst is never bad, so maybe I should drag a friend and his 8-inch Dobsonian telescope with me that day.

• I don't have a telescope unfortunately, but I would really love to be able to see the red planet out in the desert either in NM or TX. I am really excited!

• It didn't have the time of night for best viewing. Does anyone know?

That, and it showed Mars in the night sky, but since it will be passing behind the moon...........where do I look?

• So, experts recommend we try looking at Mars on the evening of December 7th around 6-9 PM. For those in Europe, this is on the morning of December 8th. We may be able to see a red dot appears, disappears, and reappears at the bottom-right of the full moon. Some articles say that those in North America and Western Europe are in the best positions.

I really hope I don't need to go anywhere specific to get a nice view, especially because that friend with the Dobsonian telescope I mentioned the other day couldn't come with me. Is anyone planning anything special for the D-day?

• Hey guys! I just want to add that I was able to see it last night. It was so amazing. I don't have a telescope, so I just looked for the moon and was hoping to notice something different, and there it was! It looked like a tiny little dot on the left side of the moon. It was so cool :)

• Hey guys! I just want to add that I was able to see it last night. It was so amazing. I don't have a telescope, so I just looked for the moon and was hoping to notice something different, and there it was! It looked like a tiny little dot on the left side of the moon. It was so cool :)

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. None of my close friends managed to catch it without any tools, unfortunately, and neither did I. Perhaps I was looking during the time when Mars was hidden by the moon. Then there was my schedule as well. I will try to be patient until 2025 for another possible sighting!

• Oh... I missed this event! But then again, I'm not so regretful about it because I don't think my location will allow me to have a good view of the planet. This would have been more fun with some camera equipment.

• Belinda I understand your disappointment in not being able to see Mars due to the heavy cloud cover in your area. It can be frustrating when nature doesn't cooperate with our astronomical endeavors. But fear not, as you rightly said, there will always be a next time!

The visibility of celestial objects, such as Mars, is indeed subject to various factors, including weather conditions, light pollution, and the observer's location. Even though Mars comes closest to Earth every two years during its opposition, it doesn't guarantee optimal viewing conditions for everyone.

However, I must say that catching a glimpse of Mars can be a truly awe-inspiring experience. The red planet, with its distinctive color and prominence in the night sky, has captivated the imaginations of humans for centuries. It has been a subject of scientific exploration and speculation, making it one of the most intriguing celestial bodies in our solar system.

To increase your chances of observing Mars during its next close approach, it may be helpful to plan ahead and consider a few factors. Firstly, check the weather forecasts and choose a clear night with minimal cloud cover. Secondly, try to find a location away from city lights and light pollution, as this can greatly enhance your visibility. Finally, equip yourself with a good pair of binoculars or a telescope to bring out the finer details of Mars, such as its polar ice caps or dusty surface features.

Remember that patience and perseverance are key when it comes to observing celestial events. The universe is vast and ever-changing, and sometimes we need to wait for the perfect moment to witness its wonders. So, don't be disheartened by this missed opportunity, for the cosmos always has something spectacular in store for us.

Wishing you clear skies and successful stargazing in the future!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!