Robotic colonization

• While it is understandably difficult for humans to move out to a new planet right away, I think robots would have fewer difficulties adapting to the unknown environment. I say this for a long-term project, where they check on the land, attempt to make buildings, and maybe even harvest resources. Do you think that's way too impossible?

• We send robots out all the time to collect information about other planets, and they've largely been successful projects. I don't believe any of the rovers have found useful resources to harvest, though. I guess we could try programming them to attempt farming on other planets. That could be a fun project.

• This is very much in the realm of possibility. Looking at the advancements that we are making with AI, this should be very feasible in a few years. AI is growing exponentially and it's only a matter of time before we can deploy AI robots to help terraform other planets.

• I don't think it would be easier to colonize other planets, even with robots, because they will still need the help of humans. They usually require instructions, supervision, and materials to upgrade their system. Without a manipulator, robots will likely rust and function with no direction.

• Robots go a lot of places and do a lot of things that humans simply aren't able to do. I think that using robots to aid in colonization of other planets will definitely happen!

• I don't think it would be easier to colonize other planets, even with robots, because they will still need the help of humans. They usually require instructions, supervision, and materials to upgrade their system. Without a manipulator, robots will likely rust and function with no direction.

I believe we can develop the necessary programs to make sure the robots' algorithm is appropriate. Maybe we can even develop ways to control the robots from miles away for more complicated tasks. Otherwise, humans can supervise them from the orbiting space stations, descending once in a while for maintenance.

• Gabrielle brought up an interesting sub-topic. Can robots maintain themselves? Can they maintain other robots as well with the right programming?

If we're not there yet with that tech. we will be soon.

• This is intersting indeed but it is very unlikely to happen. Even if it did a take over by machines TERMINATOR style is so far off. WE indeed made huge leaps in tech but for a full on take over by machines NO!!!! Let me put it this way we can barely create a fully functioning IRON MAN suit for now so an invasion is way off. If Isee a real life terminator I will believe it but as for this time I disagree.

• Interesting inquiry. I agree that AI would be superior in many cases. I think some case trials and experimentation would be the best way to test your theory.

• There is nothing impossible, the world all over are turning to robots to carry out certain things. However there must always be human intervention.

• Really, robots have made things easier for human and robots can get to places human may be incapable of reaching. My concern is that, is it possible for robots to take the place of humans eventually?

• With the way things are going, I think robots are our best bet at occupying other planets. They are not susceptible to environmental hazards like humans are.

• With AI and remote control over the robots, colonizing other planets will be a reality in future. One another important factor is the energy source needed to power these robots.

• Human beings will still be the most powerful living thing on Earth and they will be manipulating and articulating the machines and robots to their will and fancy. Hence even if colonization takes place, Man will be in control of everything.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!